For both Points Based and Weighted grading systems, add extra credit as a stand-alone grade item that is not tied to any particular category.
Create an Extra Credit item:
- Go to Grades > Manage Grades
- Click New > Item
- Choose Numeric.
- Enter a Name for the extra credit option. Choose which category this new item belongs to, if applicable.
- Enter the Maximum Points that can be earned.
- *Only if in a weighted gradebook, enter the weight that you want the item to be worth.
- Under Bonus, click to place a check mark in the box.
- Click Save and Close.
Entering Extra Credit Points:
For both Points and Weighted grading, enter the number of extra credit points per student in the same way as you enter other grade items. Check a few students top number (points earned) against the bottom number (total points possible) to ensure your extra credit is setup correctly.