The University provides paid vacation time off to eligible employees who are classified as full-time
administrative staff or full-time staff who work 30 hours or more as follows:
|Maximum Annual Hours
|25 and above
*Anniversary date = employee’s date of hire/rehire/adjusted seniority date
• Vacation time will be received at the beginning of each fiscal year.
o The amount of vacation will be determined by the length of service as of the first day
of the fiscal year. (Example if an employee’s length of service is 5.5 years on June 1
they will receive 10 days of vacation.)
• No vacation time can be accumulated and carried over from fiscal year to fiscal year.
• Unused vacation time will be forfeited at midnight on the fiscal year end (May 31st).
• Vacations must be requested in advance, with as much notice as possible.
• Vacation requests are reviewed based on a number of factors, including staffing requirements
and department needs.
• Employees who have an unexpected need to be absent must notify their supervisor before the
start of their work time, if possible.
• Should two or more employees in the same department choose the same vacation time; the
employee with the longest period of service will generally have priority if only one employee
can be gone at a time.
• In the unlikely event that an employee takes more vacation time than earned during the fiscal
year, salary equivalent of the excess time will be deducted from pay following the end of the
fiscal year (May 31st)
• Full-time employees who work less than 12 months or more than 30 hours per week and less
than 37.50 hours per week will have pro-rated vacation time (e.g., an employee who works
nine months of the year will receive 9/12 of the vacation scale or an employee who works 35
hours will receive 93.3%)
• Upon leaving employment, any unused accrued vacation time will be paid in the final paycheck
after confirmation that all vacation time has been reported.
• Non-exempt staff may take vacation time in hourly increments and are required to report all
time via the online timekeeping system.
• Exempt staff may take vacation time in half-day (3.75 hours) or full-day (7.50 hours)
increments. Exempt staff are required to report all vacation time used each pay period via the
online timekeeping system.
• New employees may be eligible for more vacation time than shown in the chart above (up to
a maximum of 20 days) if they have written documentation from their most recent place of
employment that they have received more vacation days than the vacation time indicated in
the above schedule (up to a maximum of 20 days). This documentation is reviewed for
approval. (Policy effective July 1, 2005).
• Note: Faculty on contracts longer than ten months receive up to four weeks (20 work days)
of vacation, pro-rated depending on the length of the contract. They also are excused from
work on all holidays that are observed by the University. Faculty on contracts longer than
ten months who also teach should not take vacation during regularly scheduled class days
unless highly unusual circumstances demand such an absence. Vacations must be
requested in advance with as much notice as possible. Vacation requests are reviewed
based on a number of factors, including instruction and department needs.
Administrative Staff and Staff Regular Full-Time Employees
The University provides paid personal leave to eligible employees under the terms of this policy:
o Eligible employees are provided up to 4 days (30 hours) for Personal Leave each fiscal year.
o Personal leave may not to be taken during University registration, graduation periods, or
other high activity periods designated by departments.
o Personal leave may not be taken in conjunction with Vacation or with University recognized
o There is no cash payment for unused personal leave either during the time of
employment or upon termination.
o Unused personal time does not carry over from one fiscal year to the next.